Sildenafil citrate (marketed as Viagra and a number of other names) is mostly applied to remove the symptoms of erectile dysfunction in men. The evidence of Sildenafil being effective in curing ED in women is not sufficient. The working principle of Sildenafil is that it improves blood flow through blood vessels in penis, thus enabling stable and long enough erection necessary for starting, maintaining and terminating sexual intercourse. When taken on a regular basis and in correct doses, the drug helps to improve sexual life significantly without any surgery or other irreversible interference.
It would be not unnecessary to say that Sildenafil Citrate can be used for curing other diseases than erectile dysfunction. Being a phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) inhibitor, Sildenafil is efficient in relaxing and dilating blood vessels in lungs. That is why it is sometimes prescribed for people with pulmonary diseases or for athletes who wish to improve their ability to exercise.
Sildenafil Citrate Contraindications
Sildenafil Citrate is strongly prohibited in any of the following cases:
- allergy to any ingredient of the drug;
- pulmonary veno-occlusive disease (PVOD);
- taking nitrates in any form and for any purpose;
- taking another medication that contains Sildenafil or another PDE5 inhibitor.
Before trying Sildenafil Citrate, always consult your doctor and tell him frankly about your health state and possible circumstances that may prevent you from taking the drug. This is certainly not the case for concealing information out of embarrassment or for any other reason. Taking Sildenafil in the presence of any of the contra-indications mentioned above can lead to very bad consequences including death.
In some cases the drug should be taken with discretion and, again, only after a consultation with the doctor:
- certain medications or food supplement;
- allergy to any medicine or food;
- eye or hearing problems;
- deformed penis or other conditions that can increase the risk of a prolonged (more than 4 hours) or even painful erection;
- liver or kidney problems;
- heart problems, high or low blood pressure, anemia or pulmonary hypertension;
- nervous system problems
- taking other ED medicines.
Sildenafil Interactions with other drugs
Sildenafil Citrate is generally safe when taken with other medicines or dietary supplements. However, it is recommended to avoid the interaction between Sildenafil and any of the following medicines:
- drugs for high blood pressure;
- macrolide antibiotics;
Sometimes the above-mentioned medicines do not lead to any special consequences when taken with Sildenafil. Yet, you may notice that the effect of Sildenafil is decreased or even eliminated. In such a case, reconsider the medicines you take and ask your doctor if you should abstain from other drugs when taking Sildenafil or at least decrease their dose.
How to use Sildenafil Citrate
Sildenafil Citrate is sold in the form of injections given at the doctor’s office or pills and is a prescription-required medication. The dosage of the pills can vary from 10 mg to 100 mg or more and should be specifically chosen by your health consultant. It is not recommended to stop taking the drug or change the dosage without a prior consultation with the doctor. However, you should definitely stop using Sildenafil if you suddenly feel bad or notice any unusual changes in your health state.
The medicine should be taken every day, preferably at the same times each day. This would help to achieve the best result, and you will start experiencing stable and long enough erections. Even if you feel that a pill can be missed without compromising the result, do not do it and keep taking every single dose unless your doctor tells you to stop. If you have accidentally missed a dose, take the pill as soon as you possible, without waiting until time for the next dose comes. Then return to your normal dosing schedule. Do not take two doses at once.
Other important information for those who take Sildenafil
- Abstain from alcohol when taking Sildenafil Citrate. The interaction of the drug with spirits may cause drowsiness, dizziness or blurred vision. If you already experience any of those symptoms, do not drive or perform other tasks that require high level of concentration.
- Side effects of Sildenafil may be increased by hot weather, physical exercise or fever. To prevent them, try to move slowly and relax at the first sign of any undesired symptoms.
- Patients with heart and other health problems may experience various other side effects including nausea, light-headedness, pain in different parts of the body, numbness of an arm or leg, headache, vomiting or fainting. Be careful and call your doctor immediately if you have any of these problems and especially if you start experiencing them on a regular basis.
- In rare cases the drug may cause prolonged or uncomfortable erections. This may happen even when you are not having sexual intercourse or preparing for it. If left without due attention, such symptoms may lead to severe and permanent sexual problems, including impotence.
- Vomiting or diarrhea cause strong dehydration. If this occurs, try to drink as much water as possible and contact your health care consultant immediately.
- Patients with eye sensitivity or eye problems may rarely experience vision changes (e.g., blurred vision, sensitivity to bright light etc.). If this lasts for several minutes only, nothing serious will happen. The drug may also affect hearing (decrease or loss of hearing).
- Sildenafil may lead to unexpected consequences when a patient is exposed to emergency care or surgery. Consult your doctor immediately if you have to undergo any extraordinary medical treatment.
- Sildenafil Citrate must be used with caution by elderly patients since they may be more sensitive to its effect.
- Sildenafil is prohibited for use of children. Keep the medication away from kids and try to conceal from them even the fact the such a drug is kept at home since this may raise unnecessary curiosity.